Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Lowry - NE Mpls

I do not know the exact address, but this store is on Lowry a few blocks West of Central Ave.

This was an interesting visit. Like always, it was a cold night on the trip to the DQ. There was some confusion when Sally ordered her small "dish" of ice cream--she was charged the Sundae Rate. I can understand the confusion since it looks like a sundae, but just doesn't have the fixin's. The friendly cashier had trouble correcting the change so we got back and extra $.20 for some reason.

Cone size was excellent and my cone was really heavy. Why is this important? It's because the cone was more crystalized milk that the marshmellowy fluff I prefer. It is possible to overdue the marshmellowy flavor (I haven't reviewed a store like that yet), but when it is too milky it is also a bit gritty from the ice crystals. There is less flavor, too, so points off for that.

The prices were interesting:
small cone: $1.49 - ($1.39 is the lowest I've seen, so this is pretty good)
med: $1.69
Large: $1.99 - overall, quite reasonable.
Peanut Buster Parfait: $3.79 - Also a good price.

Parking is sparce, but this is a walk up store. If I lived in the neighborhood, I'd be biking there all the time, but also wishing that the cones were better. Perhaps it was a fluke in regards to cone flavor. I'll update and give them a second chance if they do better later this summer.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My neighborhood DQ! Next time you stop by take note of the little store front across the street and the gas station next to the DQ. It's an interesting block in a lot of ways.