Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Lexington and University - St. Paul



Such sadness and disappointment.  I was saving my review of this St. Paul store since it has always been one of my favorites.  When I worked in St. Paul, I went there all the time.  It is, after all, across the street from White Castle.

I was one friendly terms with the owner who knew of my love of chocolate dipped cones.  Prices were good and it was never as busy as the Snelling Ave DQ.  I bet that in the 4 years since I've worked near there, the store is owned by someone else.

The two teenagers working the store were tattooed and pierced (not that I have anything against that).  And they had the attitude.  After waiting at the window for 5 minutes, I poked my head in and one of them snarked, "I'm making somethin', I'll be right with you."  The other girl was just standing there.  Maybe she didn't even work there.  I can't say.

Also, I saw this totally blinged out dude who let me cut in line,  He was wearing a fake Rolex that was so cheap it didn't even have a back on it.  It was fabulous!

Topping it off, the cone was crappy like the Heights DQ was crappy.  It was extra whipped, too fluffy and could barely support itself under its own weight.  It melted immediately and nearly totally.  I had to scarf it down before it dripped away.  Sure, it is 80 degrees out today, but it is no excuse!  Make a good cone, dang it.

Small Vanilla Cone: $1.49
medium: $1.89
Large: $2.29
PBP:$3.49

Skip this one.  No need to have a bad DQ experience.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Where's the Hudson WI review. It's the best thing since sliced bread and then go down by the water and watch the big boats go by. It's tradition on Saturday and Sunday nights!

Michael McGraw - www.Local-Artist-Interviews.com said...

Amee,
Hudson is a little out of the way for me, but I would welcome a guest reviewer. Get the prices for sm/med/lg cones and peanut buster parfaits and let me know how your cone was.

Thanks for your comment! Mike